Position :Project Officer – Early Childhood Development ( 1 Positions)
Location :Homabay County.
Reports to : Program Coordinator
Reference code : LRDP/PO-ECD/01/23
Purpose of the Position:
Lake Region Development Program is a reputable Non-Governmental Organisation is seeking to recruit a self-motivated and dynamic individual to spearhead the implementation of a new project on Early Childhood Development (ECD) for young children and caregivers in Homa Bay County. The project aims to shape promising practices by building the capacity of caregivers and parents to improve responsive caregiving and support the government in expanding the implementation of Nurturing Care for ECD interventions in the county. The position is a 3-year contract subject to availability of anticipated donor funding starting from 1st March 2023.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Project Officer will be part of a team implementing an Early Childhood Development (ECD) project in Homabay county of Kenya. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the project at county level. His/her roles include community mobilization, training, mentoring and coaching of community groups, managing budgets, ensuring the safety of children, and compliance to donor and organization’s regulations. The ECD Officer should be flexible and proactive to accomplish objectives in a self-motivated work environment. The Project Officer will work closely with the community, other staff, relevant county government officers and other ECD stakeholders in the county for effective and efficient project implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide leadership in planning and implementation of ECD project in accordance with approved project proposal and budget,
2. Training of community on ECD and later on provide regular mentoring and coaching of community groups in concepts of ECD and parenting education,
3. Assume lead role in developing, promoting, implementing and evaluating appropriate Early Childhood development initiatives that responds to changing needs of the community in coordination with the M&E officer,
4. Organize, coordinate and schedule various early childhood and parenting interventions as well as special ECD events for the project,
5. Mobilize and engage with communities in the target county to ensure community involvement and sustained commitment to the project.
6. Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises including field visits and surveys and share and aid in the identification of existing and potential challenges that can slow down project implementation and share these with the project coordinator in real-time for decision making and remedial measures.
7. Establish and strengthen working relationships with relevant county government, civil society agencies and community in the county.
8. Timely prepare and submit quality narrative progress reports that meet organization’s and donor requirements.
9. Document lessons learnt and best practices for experience sharing and replication.
10. Be alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills necessary for promoting strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and ensure full adherence to the Child Safeguarding Policy.
11. Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion, and equity.
12. Any other duties relevant to the position as may be assigned by the supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in either Early Childhood Studies, development studies or any other relevant social sciences. .
• Minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in project planning, implementation, and monitoring. .
•Demonstrated ability to run high-quality interactive training in-person and remotely (virtual). .
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with individuals and teams at all levels, both internal and external.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in team situations.
•Practical experience working with other partners especially the government at county level.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Knowledge and application of computer skills.
• Practical experience in implementing parenting education programs for caregivers of infants and young children, .
• Practical experience in project management including budget monitoring skills,
• Basic research and data collection skills,
Experience in any of the following sectors: child protection for infants and young children, gender, disabilities, health, nutrition
How to apply:
Lake Region Development Program is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children. Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.